Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Wandering Mind

Newsflash, this just in.

- For whatever reason I felt it was a good time to rent an acoustic guitar and try to learn some music. I'm not sure why I thought this was a good idea. I have this insatiable need to create. That is why I write. That is why I put podcasts together. More than likely it is also the foundation for the amount of music I listen to and/or buy. The desire is there, the talent may not be so much. I know what I'm good at. I understand systems very well. God graced me with the ability to see the big picture, very well at times. I am tenacious when it comes to solving problems. I'm also a good facilitator. I know how to ask the right questions. I'm not saying this out of arrogance. I'm saying it because these are my strengths.

I haven't written here in awhile and it is killing me not to write. I don't know who said it originally, but Wil Wheaton passed on this bit of advice: "Don't be afraid to suck."

I'm not afraid to suck at writing in view of the internet. I may not be the most interesting, I may never find the voice. Right now I can't find the inspiration. I want to write, I don't know what to write.

- Gas prices shot up overnight on speculation hurricane Ike will cause major disruption in Gulf oil production. After watching the news tonight I feel it is time for me to add my voice and send out a reminder. If you cause a run on gas, the price will definitely go up. Gas, as with most things, is driven by a little thing we call supply and demand. Supply is not down, oil is selling at less than $100 a barrel as of market close today. Refined gas supplies may go down briefly with this hurricane. However, everyone panicking because they've "heard" prices are going up will drive supply down which will drive prices up.

Repeat after me: The news is anything but the news. The news hasn't been real reporting in probably 20 years. The media, whether intentionally or not, is very good at manipulating your emotions. Panic isn't going to help any of us and will probably cause the government, which is another issue altogether, to gain more control. Breath deep and remember things are probably not as bad as they seem to be.

- Have I mentioned I have no idea why I rented a guitar?