Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Anger

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
Psalm 37:7-9

I used to be an angry individual. I'm not saying that I no longer get irrationally angry, but with a lot of work, prayer, support from a patient wife, and some counseling I'm much better than I used to be. With the change that has come I also see anger in others and its effect on their life more clearly. I don't boast in my lack of anger because I know I could very easily be them.

I believe anger to be one of the more destructive emotions when handled improperly. It has creates the same internal damage that worry and despair do, but it has the added bonus of coming out in actions and words which damages other people.

In the last few days I've watched anger in play. Deep anger and worry that comes from wounds I will never fathom. Irrational anger that lashes out and causes chaos and discord whereever it goes. And I think to myself that only by the grace of God am I not that person. I can only pray for peace in these situations and hope that they receive the same peace that has been given to me.

Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty,and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.
Proverbs 16:31-33