Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Dagnabbit

I hate feeling guilty for not having written here recently or having kept up with either of my podcasts. I haven't touched the guitar in weeks. I've gotten better at managing my time to the point that I'm actually studying web development more. However, that is really the only positive thing I can come up with at the moment. I'll be on vacation for a week and won't be able to do any of this because I'll be in Pennsylvania visiting my in-laws.

C.J. Mahaney has written a good piece on his blog about procrastination and how some of us are more prone than others to lean towards it. I'm definitely a procrastinator. In the past I always felt I did my best work under a deadline. I've been out of the scholastic environment for ten years now, nothing drives me. Sure I have deadlines at work and I have a good habit of meeting or beating them, but once the work is over I'm back to my lazy, self-centered lifestyle. I know deep down inside part of me feels like I deserve a break after 5:00, but a lack of diligence outside the office has put me in a precarious position. I have to "cram" now so I can be prepared to make a job change if necessary. My options are limited because I haven't taken advantage of the opportunities that I have been given.

Outside of that I don't want to be in a corporate environment all of my life. I want to utilize my knowledge of technology to reach out and make a difference in the world. The way I see it though, if I can't take the time for the things I "want" to do on a regular basis then I'm really going to have a hard time with the things I'm called to do as a believer.

I'm not saying I need to be a workaholic, studyholic, evangelholic 24/7/365. That is a road of deception that leads away from God as well. I am saying I need to work, and work hard, to strike a balance.