Pages

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Cost? Pt. 3

When Jesus called the disciples to put down their nets and follow him it was a big deal. I don’t think we see that impact it had on their lives. Fishing was their livelihood. They weren’t out having a relaxing day on the lake, they were out trying to earn money and food so they could live. More than likely they were doing what their fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers did. There wasn’t a world of opportunities like we have today.

They gave it all up on the word of a man they had never seen before.

I had trouble giving up cable TV a year ago so we could put the money towards our debt.

Now before you get the wrong idea, I'm not trying to beat anyone, least of all myself, up over this question. I don't have all of the answers. It comes down to where is God leading your heart. Our focus shouldn't be how much money and stuff we have. If you have a lot or if you have nothing I don't necesarily think it speaks to how God's blessings. Either way you go you take the risk making a God out of your focus. If you make good money, live in a big house, drive a nice car, etc. it can become God to you. If you give it all away, that very act can become God to you.

It all comes down to obedience to God. Obedience to giving time and money or obedience to giving up your self and your plans to take on a better plan.

Is it costing me? Yes, I'm sure I could have a better life in terms of every magazine cover and every television ad. I'm sure we could have a bigger house and newer cars, but that would be a bigger cost.