Pages

Thursday, May 08, 2008

But I don't want to go on the cart

I announced that I wanted to start working towards writing for a living. Then I promptly quit writing.

What have we learned?

I'm not sure yet, but if you learned a valuable lesson please pass it on to me.

I plan on making a concerted effort to write a new post everyday for a month, but I'm not starting quite yet. In the past two weeks I've had two flat tires(making a total of four for the year so far) and a computer crash. Next week I will be out of town in Pennsylvania. I'm not going to say that it will start immediately when I get back, but definitely by June 1st. I'm also make no guarantee of quality of post either, but you should be used to that by now.

Other than the above things have been going well. Since my attempts to exercise on a regular basis have fallen into the abyss, I've decided to make dietary changes for the time being. I'm trying to eat healthier now. More vegetables, fruits, and in general healthy foods, less processed garbage and fast food. It has made a difference. I'm guessing I've lost a half to a full inch off of my waist. I don't have to resort to contortionist practices to get my jeans to button anymore. In general I feel better overall. Part of this change is due to my reading 'The Omnivores Dilemma" which is forever changing my perspective on food and the food industry. I was planning on reading the follow-up "In Defense of Food," but I think I want to take a break and read some fiction instead.

I've also put in a few hours of study in my current profession of tech support/software administration. If I don't aggressively pursue the writing path, I think I will aggressively pursue web development.

My real problem right now is not knowing. Ten years in the same job, almost a lifetime dedicated to the study of computers and I still don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life. Broad strokes involved having kids, losing weight, and continuing to serve God and find ways to bring God to others, not necesarily in the order stated. At a micro level of the next year, two years, or five years I don't have a clue. Everything I read points to finding your passion and pursuing it. I know the talents that God has given me, I know what I enjoy doing, but I don't know how to mesh both of those with supporting a family.

Getting out of debt would probably open up some options though.